Using Genymotion emulator has many advantages both in terms of speed and performance. The blog will cover step by step installation of Genymotion on Windows machine for android development. The tutorial is for Android Developer beginners who want to setup Genymotion emulator on Windows machine.
Below topics will be covered in this tutorial:
- What is Genymotion Emulator?
- Why Genymotion emulator is better than Android studio default emulator for Android Programming.
- Download, Install Genymotion on Windows operating system.
- Setup android studio.
What is Genymotion Emulator?
A virtual mobile device that runs on your personal computer or laptop. The emulator lets you develop and test Android applications without using a physical device.
Why Genymotion Emulator is better than Android Studio default Emulator for Android Programming?
- Default emulator that comes with Android Studio is slow and laggy.
- Genymotion emulator is fast compared to default emulator that comes with android studio.
- It’s an emulator using x86 architecture virtualization, making it much more efficient!
- Taking advantage of OpenGL hardware acceleration, it allows you to test your applications with amazing 3D performance.
Download, Install Genymotion on windows operating system for Android Application Development
- Go to your browser and open www.genymotion.com.
- You will see two options
- Free download: Free version has limited features. But these features are sufficient for personal use or for beginners.
- Business download: Business version has many features and are not for personal use. For beginners we don’t need this version.
- Download Genymotion as per your requirement (free or business version).
- You will see download option for three operating systems. Click on the operating system which you are using(in my case Windows 7) and click “Get Genymotion“.
- You will be redirected to Genymotion download page. You will see two options
- Get Genymotion.
- Get Genymotion without virtualbox. (Click on this if you have pre installed virtual box)
- To download, you have to sign up. Sign up is absolutely free. So just click on create account.
- Fill all the information like username, email id and password and click on create account. Once your account is created, login using your credentials.
- After that you can easily download Genymotion free version for any operating system.
- After download, double click on executable file.
- Select your preferred language and click next.
- Select where you want to install and click next.
- After couple of more next buttons click install.
- Your Genymotion installation process will start.
- After some time you will see a pop up for installation of virtual box. Click on couple of next buttons and click on install.
- Within 3 to 4 minutes, installation of virtualbox completes. Click finish.
- Now you will see Genymotion emulator.
- When you see the Genymotion emulator for first time, you will be informed that “you don’t have any virtual device yet“.
- So to add virtual device click yes.
- To add a virtual device first you have to sign in with Genymotion user id and password.
- After sign in you can see all the available virtual devices. You can chose any device depending on your preferences. Click next.
- You can see all the properties of your selected device. Click next.
- It will retrieve and deploy new virtual device. It will start downloading necessary files for the same. After downloading completes, click finish.
- You will see the virtual device.
- Once everything is done, select your device and click on start button. Verify whether your Genymotion emulator is working or not.
Congratulations! Genymotion is installed in your windows operating system.
Setup Genymotion in Android studio for Android Development
We assume that Genymotion and virtual box is installed in your windows operating system.
- Start Android Studio IDE.
- Go to File -> Settings and search for plugin.
- Click on plugin. You will see all the plugins which are installed in Android studio.
- In plugin section click on browse repository. It will show all the repositories in your Android Studio.
- Search for Genymotion, and install that plugin in order to setup in Android Studio.
- For installing the Genymotion plugin, right click on Genymotion and click on download and install. It will start downloading and installing.
- After doing this you will see Genymotion plugin in plugin section.
- Restart your Android studio IDE.
- You can see small icon on your android studio.
- Click on the the Genymotion icon. When you click icon for the first time, you will see the settings to setup.
- For setup you have to give installation folder path, by default it is “C:\Program Files\Genymobile\Genymotion“. Once your path is configured, click ok.
- Now you are ready to run all your developed Android apps in the Genymotion emulator.
- To run app, click on device manager icon. You will see Genymotion device manager. Click start. Your device or emulator will be started.
- Cancel device manager as our emulator is running(don’t close emulator).
- Click on run button and chose Genymotion emulator and click ok.
- Congratulations! you will see your android application is running on Genymotion emulator.
Hope you liked the article. If you are done with genymotion emulator installation you can get started with below simple android tutorials for android applicatiom development:
Let me know if you faced any hiccups in the Genymotion installation process. Will try to resolve. Do let us know your feedback in the comments section. Also subscribe to get updated with Android programming tutorials.